Catholic Interest

Interesting things Catholic

  • ..the devil's in the details..
  • ... John 5 25-29 ...
  • National Shrine in Wash. D.C>
    Add to My Yahoo! << # St. Blog's Parish ? >>

    Saturday, December 31, 2005

    These folks would rather die


    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4569626.stm

    Manfred Nowak's comments came after it emerged that the number of detainees refusing food at the prison camp had more than doubled since 25 December.


    Some 84 inmates are now refusing food, according to the US military.

    In old age homes, refusal to eat is often the only way the aged can express their will to stop the endless medical life support. Usually, they are allowed to die without forced feeding. For them, life has become too cruel or inhumane.

    Apparently circumstances which cause 84 non-elderly people to try to commit suicide are still not considered overly cruel or inhumane.

    I think history will have a field day with this president and his staff.

    2 Comments:

    Blogger Joseph said...

    I know we will preserve their lives. I just notice that the folks are feeling low enough to kill themselves in large numbers. And that it is perhaps the punishment we are delivering that is causing their feeling low enough to die. And that the punishment at that level may be too cruel.

    January 03, 2006  
    Blogger Joseph said...

    From Papalist...

    I'm not aware of inhumane treatment at Gitmo (I think we talked about this once before), unless you're defining indefinite detention as inhumane. I would agree with you that I'm concerned about detention-without-charges, but I'm not sure if I'd call that cruel.

    January 03, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home

    catholic interest.